- Free shipping on orders over $150
- 100% love it or your money back
- Local pickup available
- Guaranteed safe checkout
- See shipping info below⬇
- In stock, ready to ship
- Inventory on the way
The pump is used to extract and examine the contents of the fish's stomach. Such discovery can allow you to accurately match the food source, which leads to a more successful and informed approach. The pump is made of a rubber bulb and a small diameter plastic tapered straw which is easy to operate.
- Only collect samples from fish 14” or larger. Smaller trout may be harmed by the throat pump.
- Keep the trout in the net, in the water.
- Roll the trout onto its back and gently hold it still - without squeezing it - by putting one pectoral fin between your thumb and forefinger and the other pectoral fin between your forefinger and middle finger. In most cases, the trout will relax and lay still when gently held this way.
- Immerse your throat pump, squeeze the bulb and fill it with water, and then squeeze the water out.
- Gently insert the tube of the throat pump into the trout’s mouth until you feel it just slip into its throat. Stop there! Do not squirt water into the trout. Release pressure on the bulb and slowly withdraw the pump tube. If there’s anything in the trout you’ll see it enter the tube.
- Set the pump aside with the tube opening facing up so that you don’t lose any contents.
- Release the trout, or if you plan to harvest it, bring it into the boat and quickly kill it.
- Squirt the contents of the pump into your vial.
- Squeeze the bulb, suck in some water, and then squirt it into the vial again. Do that one more time if your vial is large enough.
- Throat samples from actively feeding trout should contain live prey (insects, crustaceans, zooplankton, molluscs, etc.).
- If the contents are cloudy or the insects, etc. that you find are dead, you may have pushed the tube too far down the throat into the stomach and you’ve withdrawn stomach contents.
We are pleased to offer free shipping on all Canadians orders over $150 CAD & $100 for USA. (1-7 business days)
If purchasing a handful of small flat items, such as hooks or beads, we can ship them out letter mail for only $2. Please note letter mail shipping does not offer tracking and thus has no insurance if lost or stolen. Letter mail may take up to 4 weeks to arrive.
Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for this option.
Orders under $150 CAD will be charged a discounted shipping rate from Canada post, which usually works out to be half price of the true shipping cost. (Quoted at checkout)
We are open for curb side pickup from 9am-5pm PST Monday-Friday.
Our address is:
212-1515 Broadway St,
Port Coquitlam, BC, Canada
Please call us at 604-552-3112 for pickup inquiries.
We back all of our products with a 30-day money-back guarantee!
If for any reason you don't 100% love your products we will refund you in full.